Fall in Minnesota means cooler weather and the end of the summer harvest season. As a result, fall recipes are often warm, hearty, and earthy. Mushrooms fit nicely into these dishes and add delicious flavor to all kinds of stick-to-your-ribs breakfasts.
Here’s why R&R Cultivation’s employees and customers love to cook with our gourmet, organic mushrooms at breakfast time.
Why Mushrooms Are A Great Breakfast Food
Mushrooms are delicious and nutritious. They are low fat, low in calories, and packed with vitamins and minerals. Mushrooms may also have cholesterol-lowering and antioxidant properties. Some of the most prevalent vitamins and minerals in mushrooms include:
- B complex vitamins – help cell growth, energy levels, and brain function
- Vitamin C – helps the body grow and repair tissues and heal wounds
- Selenium – a powerful antioxidant that supports the immune system
- Potassium – for optimal heart, muscle, and nerve function
You can benefit from mushrooms’ nutrients and antioxidants by eating them each day, and breakfast is a great place to add them into your diet. If you prefer a breakfast you can whip up as you run out the door, consider adding powdered mushrooms to smoothies or your morning coffee. But if you’re the type to enjoy cooking with mushrooms, keep reading for some quick and easy recipe ideas.
Using Complementary Ingredients to Create Deliciousness
When you understand which foods go well with mushrooms, your breakfast options become limitless. Certain cooking methods and ingredients will really showcase the complex flavors of gourmet mushrooms like Lion’s Mane, Shiitake, and Chestnut mushrooms.
First, let’s talk about the cooking methods that work best. Sautéing is one of the quickest and best ways to prepare your mushrooms. Fats and oils, especially butter, really bring out the best in most ‘shrooms. The richness of the butter and the savory umami of the mushrooms creates an unparalleled flavor. You can also roast your mushrooms in the oven with woody herbs or a nice balsamic glaze to get an intense depth of flavor.
Once you’ve decided how to prepare your mushrooms, you can determine which ingredients you’d like to serve alongside them. For breakfast, eggs are a great ingredient to pair with mushrooms. They’re protein-packed and extremely versatile, especially for breakfast. Salty breakfast meats like bacon and ham are also a good fit. Add a side of crunchy, golden brown toast, and you’ve got yourself the perfect meal.
Breakfast Ideas Using Mushrooms
If you’re searching for some inspiration, a recipe is a great place to start. You can easily adapt any recipe to suit your personal tastes. Here are five easy breakfast ideas you can make in 20 minutes or less using Minnesota grown organic mushrooms.
- Sautée mushrooms in butter or oil with some garlic and your favorite fresh herb(s). Place atop a slice of toast. For a more filling breakfast, you can top your mushroom toast with an over-easy egg.
- Add your favorite mushrooms (we prefer oysters or pioppinos) to an omelet with the cheese and toppings of your choice. They go especially well with goat cheese, but mushrooms are also a great addition to a Spanish or Denver omelet!
- For a brunchier feel, follow our recipe for savory crepes with mushrooms, arugula, and goat cheese.
- Create a hash with potatoes, mushrooms, bacon or ham, and your favorite vegetables. Leave out the meat for a vegetarian breakfast or use sweet potatoes for a fun twist on a classic.
- Mushroom and bacon breakfast quesadillas are a great addition to a Tex-Mex brunch spread. Grill cheddar cheese, gourmet mushrooms, bacon, and peppers between flour tortillas. Serve with salsa and sour cream for dipping.
Locally Grown Minnesota Mushrooms
If you’re ready to start whipping up delicious breakfasts using Minnesota grown gourmet mushrooms this autumn, R&R Cultivation is here to help. We sell our numerous gourmet mushroom varieties at fall farmers markets, co-ops, and Lunds and Byerlys stores throughout the Twin Cities. When you buy our mushrooms, you can be confident they are 100% USDA-Certified Organic, sustainably produced, fresh, and cultivated with love.Curious about where our mushrooms are sold? View our interactive map!